English as a Second Language
ESL Conversation Group
The Demarest Library offers conversation groups for English language learners. Meetings are:
The same readings are done at each meeting, but you are welcome to come to both. Registration is not required. These groups are relaxed, conversation-focused, and full of friendly students. For more information, contact Orla at 201-768-8714 or email@example.com, or stop by the upstairs desk.
- Tuesdays from 10:30am to 12:00pm and
- Wednesdays from 1:00pm to 2:30pm
Demarest library card holders can access Mango Languages, an online learning system for ESL learners. You need your library card number to create an account.
Anyone with a New Jersey library card can now access Rosetta Stone, an online language learning system. You need your library card number to create an account.
For intensive English classes, consider the following free resources:
- Project Literacy offers free one-on-one tutoring services.
- Greater Bergen Community Action offers free ESL and New Americans classes. Classes are held in Palisades Park, Cliffside Park, Hackensack, and Garfield and run for 10 week sessions. Registration takes place two months before each session on Fridays at 10 am. Students must bring ID, proof of address, and a social security card if they have one. Students take a placement test to determine which level class they will enter. Visit the Garfield office to register and take the test:
541 Midland Avenue
Garfield, NJ 07026The office is at the back of the building. Call Mercedes at 973-685-0005, extension 1050 for more information about classes.
- Bergen County Technical Schools offer free ESL classes. For more information, call 201-343-6000, extension 4639 or visit the ESL/GED office:
Adult Education Building
200 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601