ESL Conversation GroupThe Demarest Library offers conversation groups for English language learners. Meetings are:
- Tuesdays from 10:30am to 12:00pm and
- Wednesdays from 1:00pm to 2:30pm
The same readings are done at each meeting, but you are welcome to come to both. Registration is not required. These groups are relaxed, conversation-focused, and full of friendly students. For more information, contact Orla at 201-768-8714 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the upstairs desk.
Anyone with a New Jersey library card can now access Rosetta Stone, an online language learning system. You need your library card number to create an account.
Building a Strong Vocabulary is a free app that strengthens your vocabulary by matching words with their definitions.
Other ResourcesFor intensive English classes, consider the following free resources:
- Project Literacy offers free one-on-one tutoring services.
- Greater Bergen Community Action offers free ESL and New Americans classes. Classes are held in Palisades Park, Cliffside Park, and Garfield and run for 10 week sessions. Registration takes place two months before each session on Fridays at 10 am. Students must bring ID, proof of address, and a social security card if they have one. Students take a placement test to determine which level class they will enter. Call the Garfield office to register to take the test at 973-685-0005, extension 7150. The address for the Garfield office is:
541 Midland AvenueThe office is at the back of the building.
Garfield, NJ 07026
- Bergen County Technical Schools offer free ESL classes. For more information, call 201-343-6000, extension 4639 or visit the ESL/GED office:
Adult Education Building
190 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601