You can get your library card for free, but it’s valuable! It grants you access to all the services the Demarest Free Public Library and Bergen County Cooperative Library System (BCCLS – or “buckles” – for short) have to offer.
How to Sign Up
To sign up for a library card, we need to know:
Signing up is free!
You can start the registration process online by clicking here and filling out the form, or you can do the entire process in the library. Whether you pre-register online or not, you’ll need to come to the library in person with two things to get your library card:
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- We’ll also ask for an email address so we can let you know when you have items to pick up and remind you when your items are due, but this is optional.
You must get your library card from the town you live in, but after that you can use it at any library in BCCLS. If you already have a card in another BCCLS town, come by the library with proof of your new Demarest address and we’ll switch your account over and give you a Demarest card.
Signing up the whole family? Kids can get cards too, as long as a parent or guardian is present to provide proof of address and agrees to be responsible for items the child checks out. Children’s cards can be used just like adults’, except for checking out museum passes (you must be eighteen or older to do that).
If you work, own property, or go to school in Demarest but live in a town without a BCCLS library, you’re entitled to a free courtesy card which grants you access to our collection. Temporary residents such as au pairs may also be entitled to courtesy cards. A member of the hosting family must be present to sign up the au pair and must provide a letter taking responsibility for the au pair’s card. Call or stop by the library for more details.
- Photo ID
- Proof of your Demarest address
Once you have your library card, you can…
- Borrow! Here at the Demarest Library we have:
Demarest cardholders can borrow up to fifty items. Click here to see our lending periods.
- Audiobooks on CD and playaway
- Music CDs
- Movies and TV series on DVD & Blu-Ray
- Video games for Nintendo DS, XBOX, and Nintendo Wii
- A Korean-language collection of fiction and non-fiction books, movies, dramas, and magazines.
- Borrow from other libraries! There are seventy-seven libraries in BCCLS with more than 5,800,000 items – with a library card, you can borrow from any of them! Demarest Library only has books and magazines in English and Korean, but you can visit other libraries to borrow books in Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Polish, and more. Don’t want to make the trip? You can request items be sent to the library of your choice for you to pick up. Call or visit us to make a request, or use the online catalog – here’s how.
- Borrow digital items! eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines, music, movies, TV shows – borrow them all from the library any place, any time.
- Borrow museum passes! Demarest residents ages eighteen and older can borrow a pass to the MoMA, Guggenheim, or Intrepid Air & Space Museum. Passes admit four to six people. Click here to learn more!
- Learn a language! In addition to the print, audiobook, and video language-learning materials you can borrow, Demarest Library cardholders have access to Mango Languages, an online learning platform offering courses in more than seventy languages, including English as a Second Language.
- Get homework help! Demarest Library cardholders have access to World Book Online, the popular encyclopedia, which includes research tools, games, science project ideas, a citation builder, and more!
- Get information you can’t find anywhere else! BCCLS subscribes to dozens of databases. There are great tools for students (like Gale Biography and the Literary Reference Center), academic resources, newspapers, and NoveList for finding your next read! See the complete list.
- Manage your account online! You can manage your library card online – change your notification preferences, update your account information, see what items you have checked out, place requests, and renew items. You can also keep track of items you want to borrow and turn on your reading history. Log in to your account at bccls.org.