The Demarest Free Public Library seeks to balance the desire to welcome patrons of all ages to the library for the purpose of reading, educational, and recreational activities with the need to maintain an environment that is appealing to patrons of all ages and that is conductive to study, thought, and contemplation. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to discuss acceptable library behaviors with children in their care prior to visiting the library. Disruptive behavior on the part of any patron is unacceptable. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to: loud, boisterous talking or the use of profanity; utilizing computer equipment to access objectionable sites; playing or running in the building; mistreating library property; and other activities that distract others from using the library appropriately.
Any persons perceived to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be asked to leave the library. Patrons engaging in disruptive behavior will be asked to desist, and alternative behavior will be suggested. Anyone not complying with the staff member’s request will be told to leave the building for the day.
- The Internet like all the library’s information sources must be shared and used in a way that respects the rights of others and refrains from activity that prevents others from using it. The Library Internet is not to be used for any purposes which violate Federal or New Jersey State Laws.
- Internet access at the library is primarily for reference research purposes. The Library does not provide transfer service, (FTP) Telnet Service, or email services (POP & SMTP) other than access to third party personal email accounts via the Web.
- Library staff is available for assistance but may not provide one-on-one instruction. The staff can provide limited one-on-one instruction in the use of Digital Library Services. Patrons who require extra help or training are encouraged to investigate formal educational programs at an adult education center or Bergen Community College.
- Use of a computer will be limited to one half hour. Patrons may extend the time slot if no one is waiting to use a terminal.
- Internet access, transmission, and display on the computer of obscene materials, child pornography, or materials harmful to minors are illegal and prohibited. The Library reserves the right to end a session when material inappropriate to a public library setting is displayed.
- Neither the Library nor its staff is responsible for any information accessed by children. Parents are strongly encouraged to supervise their children’s Internet sessions. Parents/guardians are responsible for any Internet information accessed by their children.
- Patrons must respect copyright laws and licensing agreements and abide by general Internet conduct. Acts or behavior which may jeopardize the library’s account of access to resources will result in revocation of Internet privileges at the library.
- All patrons are responsible for their behavior and for any damages that occur due to misuse. They agree not to attempt to alter, even temporarily, the computer setup. Any vandalism, destructive behavior or illegal activities may result in police action as well as suspension of privileges. All patrons will be held responsible for any damages done to computers and furniture. Parents are responsible for damages done by their children.
Tutors are to register with the Library Director or the Youth Services Librarian, Miss Kate. Children being tutored must have a Demarest library card. Children who are tutored in the library are the responsibility of the tutor while on library property until they are released to a parent or guardian.
Tutoring is to take place only in the children’s area if space is available. Tutors may not meet in the teen or adult areas.